Sunday, September 4, 2011

Completed Cardigan - Simplicity 2154

Wow!  Hard to believe it's been a month since my last post.  It is my goal to post at least once a week, if not more.  Hmmmm, I fell a bit short of that goal in August.  Okay, enough guilt, let's move on.  It's a new month, new beginning.  Here's my completed cardigan that I previewed in my one and only August post (so maybe I'm not past the postless guilt syndrome yet!):

In case it's not obvious, that's not me modeling the cardigan.  Until I've completed the entire outfit, I chose to simply show it on the headless woman who shares my sewing room studio.  I plan to sew a skirt and blouse to make a complete ensemble.

Here's  a close up of the buttons and buttonholes. 


Buttonholes are not my favorite closure to sew, but I sucked it up and forged ahead.  Don't get me wrong, my Bernina sews the most beautiful, perfect buttonholes I've ever seen.  It's the simple act of cutting the slit in the buttonhole that rattles my nerves.  Once the initial cut is made, there's no turning back - this is not a task for those afraid of commitment!  Four of the six buttonholes were a "clean" cut and I only clipped a few threads on the other two buttonholes when I cut the slit in them.  That's success in my book.  I simply went back and sewed a new zig zag over the clipped threads.  This is a picture of one of the buttonholes that I "repaired":


I've not fully commited yet to which pattern I will use for the complementary skirt and blouse, so until then, I've gone a whole different direction.  I have an almost-completed home dec project that I will share with you later this week.  Have a terrific Labor Day.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I came across your blog while looking for reviews of this pattern and wanted to tell you this sweater looks lovely! I can't wait to see the entire ensemble!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jennifer. The fit of this cardigan is spot on, I made no adjustments to the pattern. You've spurred me into action on the skirt. I set it aside to do a few quilting and home dec projects.

    ReplyDelete