Thursday, September 8, 2011

Retro-Modern Pillow

A crocheting camping we will go, a camping we will go . . .  DH and I finally pulled out the RV for our first camping trip this season.  We spent five glorious days and nights in the mountains doing absolutely NOTHING (except for crocheting this terrific retro-inspired pillow).


The pattern is in the Setember/October 2011 issue of Crochet Today magazine.  The pattern includes a square version and a round version.  I chose the round one simply because all my throw pillows are square and I needed to change up the mix a bit.  I used the suggested yarn colors as follows - Red Heart Super Saver #380 Windsor Blue and #313 Aran, but I couldn't find #406 Med Thyme at my local craft store, so I used #661 Frosty Green.  The pattern calls for a crocheted front and back for a 16" round purchased pillow form.  Being a sewer, I decided to crochet only the front panel and to use fabric for the opposite side.  I also added a scalloped crochet edge to bring it all together.  I happened to have a piece of quilter's cotton in my stash that complemented the yarn colors perfectly.  Here's a shot of the opposite side:


In case wondering minds want to know, here's how I put the whole thing together. 
1.  I started with my crocheted pillow panel:


2.  After measuring to make sure it truly was 16", I cut my cotton fabric to 16 1/2" using a ruler and Sharpie to mark my circle.


3.  Then I sewed a 1/4" double fold hem around the circle.  To do this, simply sew a basting stitch 1/4" from the edge of the fabric like so:


4.  Pull up the bobbin thread and the hem will 'fold itself over'.  Then simply fold it over on itself again and topstitch.


5.  Then, using Omega nylon thread, I hand sewed a blanket stitch around the circumference of the cotton fabric so I would have a foundation on which to crochet a row of double stitches.


6.  Finally, I used a scallop crochet pattern to attach the back to the front.  This was a really fast and easy project and it was a great addition to my square, fabric home dec pillows.

No comments:

Post a Comment