Monday, February 20, 2012

Baby Bow-Tie Quilt

I noted in an earlier post that I planned to make a simple quilt to complete the baby ensemble for my new grandchild.  He came into this world a few weeks early, so I scrambled to complete it before the baby shower this weekend.

Here is a photo of the quilt top before I layered it with the batting and backing.  It’s okay, but a bit one dimensional.



I always get such a kick out of the effect that the quilting has on the overall project.  I went ahead and washed it after it was complete so it would have that “crinkled” quilt look that I love.  Ta Da!!!  A 3-dimensional quilt:


My inspiration was from Cluck Cluck Sew. I used all one color for the background piecing but I just wasn’t thrilled with all that bluish grayish greenish background, so I decided to add a few blocks using one of the print fabrics from the same line. It is the same print that I used for my daughter’s nursing apron. I reviewed the fabric choices in my Infant Car Seat Cover and Nursing Apron post. Those print blocks really helped to break up that sea of bluish grayish green.

Adding the binding is always my favorite part of a quilt, not only because it means it is complete, but it finishes it off like a frame finishes a photo. 


The backing fabric is a polka dot flannel print from Robert Kaufmann.  I like to use flannel on the back of baby quilts because it is soft, warm, and easy to quilt.  The only thing left to do is embroider a quilt label and attach it to the back.  Since I did not piece the back and insert a quilt label like I did on this bed runner, I will make a separate label and attach it by hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment