Monday, March 26, 2012

Colette 1016 (Green Silk Ginger Skirt)

As noted in this previous post, my second Ginger skirt is made from 100% 4-ply silk.


Here are my thoughts about silk fabric - buy it, sew it, you'll love it!!!  Colette patterns designer Sarai Mitnick encourages the use of silk fabrics in her designs and I see why.  What a terrific fabric to sew and wear.  It behaves nicely with the sewing machine, it drapes beautifully, and it is comfortable to wear.  As with my first Ginger skirt (made last December) I did not make any pattern alterations with this one.  The fabric I used in December was heavier and bulkier than this silk.  I did notice that in the silk fabric I will need to take in the waistband 1/2" next time.  Yes, there will be a next time because this skirt is quick to sew, fits great, and gives a flattering silhouette.  Here's a picture of the back.  It's very basic with a hidden zip.


As with my first version, I also added a lining to this one.  I plan to make one more this year and I will probably add some kind of detail like piping.  I will definitely be using silk again.  Whether it will be a print silk or solid, I'm not sure.  That's part of the fun in perusing the fabulous silk fabrics at Yellowbird Fabrics in Salt Lake.

3 comments:

  1. This is a gorgeous colour, style and cut on you - just love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome!! You did a wonderful job on this, I can tell you have been sewing for a while! Very professional looking!

    ReplyDelete