About Me

My photo

As a Martha Pullen licensed sewing teacher I love to learn new sewing techniques and I equally enjoy teaching sewing techniques to others.  You can also find me teaching Bernina Customer Courses at my local Bernina dealer.  In addition, I demonstrate Stampin' Up products.  I am a servant of the Lord of Lords and King of Kings, wife of one, mom of two, and grandma of five.  Welcome to my sewing and crafting studio!

Monday, July 16, 2012

Kwik Sew 3854 - Sailor-Style Shorts


This is such a cute shorts pattern - if only I could get them to fit!


I present to you, my valued readers, my latest wadder.


Notice the big gap at the back waistband and the gaping, droopy section in the front.  I adjusted and took these in (a total of 1 1/4") as I sewed them together, but they still need to be taken in a good 2-3 inches.  If I do that, I fear it will distort the style lines of the garment.  Therefore, they are oficially classified as a wadder.


I also think the back darts should be extended slightly.  They appear to be a bit short.  Or, maybe the length of the darts is okay if the shorts fit properly.  The pattern instructions are very clear and easy to follow and I really like the style of the shorts, so I will ponder whether or not to attempt another pair.  If I do, I will definitely cut a smaller size.

I'm moving on to another project.  I'm in the mood for a maxi skirt or dress, so that will most likely be the next garment that I sew.  The best way for me to get past a wadder is to quickly move on to the next project in queue.

Here's hoping you rarely have wadders and you are richly rewarded with success.