I love trivets! But my intended use for this one is not for hot pots, but rather to add a decorative touch to this vintage chair that sits in the corner of my entryway. The pattern is from the Sew4Home blog. I used fabrics and supplies I already had on hand. The fabric is leftover from this bed runner. The over sized green ric rac was purchased a couple of years ago from one of my local quilt stores. As you can see in the photo below, the trivet is a bit sparse on this chair seat, so I decided to alter the pattern a bit and make it slightly larger.
Here's that same chair, but with the larger size trivet. Ahhh, that's better. The new size plays better with the size of the seat. I know I'm not comfortable when something is too small for my seat!
I added a crochet flower to the center of this one because in altering the pattern, I messed up the center where all the points are supposed to come together nicely (as they do on the original version when following the pattern as written).
I knew that by adding two inches only to the length of that triangular piece and not changing any of the other dimensions, I was asking for trouble. But I plowed ahead recklessly throwing any and all mathematical knowledge (which is very limited) out the sewing room door! This, dear readers, is what I ended up with in the center of my project: Aackkkkkkk!!!
Now you see why the flower was added. :) The back of the trivet looks like this: