About Me

My photo

As a Martha Pullen licensed sewing teacher I love to learn new sewing techniques and I equally enjoy teaching sewing techniques to others.  You can also find me teaching Bernina Customer Courses at my local Bernina dealer.  In addition, I demonstrate Stampin' Up products.  I am a servant of the Lord of Lords and King of Kings, wife of one, mom of two, and grandma of five.  Welcome to my sewing and crafting studio!

Thursday, July 4, 2013

ScrapBusters: Patchwork Trivets with Circular Quilting


I love trivets!  But my intended use for this one is not for hot pots, but rather to add a decorative touch to this vintage chair that sits in the corner of my entryway.  The pattern is from the Sew4Home blog.   I used fabrics and supplies I already had on hand.  The fabric is leftover from this bed runner.  The over sized green ric rac was purchased a couple of years ago from one of my local quilt stores.  As you can see in the photo below, the trivet is a bit sparse on this chair seat, so I decided to alter the pattern a bit and make it slightly larger.


Here's that same chair, but with the larger size trivet.   Ahhh, that's better.  The new size plays better with the size of the seat.  I know I'm not comfortable when something is too small for my seat!



I added a crochet flower to the center of this one because in altering the pattern, I messed up the center where all the points are supposed to come together nicely (as they do on the original version when following the pattern as written). 


I knew that by adding two inches only to the length of that triangular piece and not changing any of the other dimensions, I was asking for trouble.  But I plowed ahead recklessly throwing any and all mathematical knowledge (which is very limited) out the sewing room door!  This, dear readers, is what I ended up with in the center of my project:  Aackkkkkkk!!!


Now you see why the flower was added.  :)   The back of the trivet looks like this:

 


And now the chair in the corner of my entryway looks like this:
 
 
 
I can rest easy knowing my seat has adequate coverage.  LOL
 
Have a beautiful Thursday, and to those of you who are state side - Happy Independence Day!
 
Pam