About Me

My photo

As a Martha Pullen licensed sewing teacher I love to learn new sewing techniques and I equally enjoy teaching sewing techniques to others.  You can also find me teaching Bernina Customer Courses at my local Bernina dealer.  In addition, I demonstrate Stampin' Up products.  I am a servant of the Lord of Lords and King of Kings, wife of one, mom of two, and grandma of five.  Welcome to my sewing and crafting studio!

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Anna Maria Horner Roundabout Top


I've used Anna Maria Horner fabrics on a number of occasions.
I appreciate that her artwork is not 'cutesy' like so many of the quilting fabric designers.
She has a very modern-classic spin on fabric design.

 
So, when I committed to attending one of her Craft South workshops in September,
I decided I should sew up one of her patterns using her cotton voile fabric.

The pattern is called Rondabout Dress & Slip.
But upon further inspection, one will see that the pattern includes
option C, which is a pullover blouse.
Now, I wanted a bit of a fitted waistline, so I opted to add rows of 1/4' wide elastic
to the back waist piece only.
No, that step is not included in the pattern instructions.
(A closer look at how I did that will be detailed in an upcoming post.)
The front waist piece is still nice and flat.

After reading a few reviews on Patternreview,
I assumed the neckline would sit a bit low.
The pattern instructions note that the blouse should be pinned at the shoulders,
before finishing the neckline to ensure that the neckline isn't too low for you.
I didn't have a problem with a low neckline, I would simply wear a cami if necessary.
But when I finished the neckline with the bias trim,
the trim "flooped" forward and would not lay flat against my chest. 
It just looked SLOPPY.

Before elastic


After much pondering, I opened up the seam at the shoulder
and inserted 1/4" elastic into the neckline between the bias trim and the blouse front.
Yes, again a pattern change using 1/4' elastic - we're friends!
 
After elastic
All in all, not too bad of a pattern, but I probably will not sew it again.
What about you, my friends, have you used any Anna Maria Horner patterns?
I would love to hear about your experience.