Thursday, August 21, 2014

Layer Cake Quilt

As of late, I've been showing a friend how to quilt.
She already knows how to sew, but is new to quilting.
We each started with a layer cake.
That's a pre-cut 10" x 10" collection of fabric.
We cut up our layer cake to make new pieces of cake.
 
What better way to learn to piece than by simply cutting 10" squares in half
and sewing the halves to a different half to create an entirely new whole?
I'm sure those who don't quilt, find it quite baffling and redundant that
quilters would cut up perfectly good fabric so they can
sew it back together to make new fabric!
 
The fabric line is Vintage Happy by Lori Holt for Riley Blake.
 
For the back, I just used some yellow Kona
and I added a strip of the Riley Blake green floral print.
At a finished size of approximately 45" x 65",
it fit great on my quilt frame, so I went with it.
I bought a couple quilt rulers a few months back,
but haven't had the opportunity to use them until now.
I chose to stipple quilt the rows with the pieced blocks,
but the sashing in between each row is quilted with a double zig zag.
I'm sold on ruler work using a short arm machine on a quilt frame.
Yay!  Watch for more ruler quilting on future projects.
The solid backing shows off the quilting nicely.
 
My embroidery machine came in handy for adding a label to the back.
Do you send your quilts out to be quilted,
or do you quilt them yourself?
I look forward to your feedback.
Please share in the comment section below.
 
Stay tuned, I hope to have a tutorial up in the near future on how to make this quilt.
 
And, remember, if you are in the local Utah area,
I offer personalized, beginning sewing/quilting lessons.
I would love to design a lesson plan with you to help
you accomplish your sewing goals.
Just send me an email or leave a comment below.
 
Now go cut apart perfectly good fabric so you can stitch it back
together again and make beautiful soft goods for your home,
your friends, and your family.
 
Have a blessed week, my friends.



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment