Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Pretty Potent Portrait Dress

Here's yet another project using some of the fabric I purchased at #craftsouth last September.
The body of the dress is "Pretty Potent" rayon by Anna Maria Horner
and the linen yoke fabric was also purchased during my #craftsouth trip.

The dress pattern is Anna Maria Horner Painted Portrait Blouse and Dress.
What a great pattern!
This one is by far my favorite garment pattern in quite some time.
I sewed the size medium without any alterations at it fits beautifully.
I love how the side panels taper down each side of the back yoke.
It makes for a flattering silhouette.
The dress closure is a button and a hand-sewn loop.
So easy, so clean, so effective.
The armhole openings are finished with bias tape, which I made from cotton.
To add the machine embroidery, I scanned one of Anna Maria Horner's designs
(from the Fields Aflutter hand embroidery collection) into my Bernina embroidery software.
Then I sized and digitized it to coordinate with the dress.
Stitching the design out on the linen before cutting the pattern piece eliminates the fussiness of
centering the design on a small piece of fabric after the pattern piece has been cut.

Have a most pleasant week, my friends, and stitch up something pretty potent.
I love to hear from you, so please leave me a comment or send me an email.


No comments:

Post a Comment