Monday, February 27, 2017

Easy Flip and Sew Placemats


Hello, sewing friends!
Thank you so much for stopping by for a peek inside my sewing studio today.
I love having visitors.
Today's project is a byAnnie pattern:  Easy Flip and Sew Placemats

This is an instant gratification sew for beginning sewers to experienced sewers.
These are a great way to spruce up your home décor for the new season
- OR -
to make as a heartfelt gift for the new homeowner or newlyweds.


Besides your sewing machine, here are the supplies you'll need to get started:
  • Soft and stable or timtex or peltex
  • Two coordinating fat quarters (this is for two placemats)
  • Miscellaneous coordinating fabric scraps for 2" x 4" pieced strips
  • Rotary cutter and ruler
  • Binder clips
To start with, the pattern calls for the back piece to be cut larger than the soft and stable.
The reason for this is that after all components are assembled,
the extra backing will be folded over to form a self binding.
I used my #BabyLockSashiko 2 machine to stitch a pattern on the backing fabric.
So I cut my backing the same size as my soft and stable,
and I used a traditional binding instead of a self binding.
I did the stitching on the back piece before I sewed or cut anything else.
This is optional - you don't have to add anything to your back fabric.

Then I cut the background fabric for the front.
That "bare" strip of soft and stable is where my pieced panel will go.
I laid everything out on the soft and stable before doing any stitching.
The instructions call for nine of the four inch wide pieces.
A 1/4" seam is to be used throughout the pattern, but when I stitched the pieces together,
my strip ended up short, so I had to add a tenth piece.
I probably made an error in cutting or stitching.
If you make, or have made, these placemats please let me know if you used nine or ten pieces.
I would like to share that information with my readers.
I used the guide on my walking foot to keep my rows lined up as I stitched parallel rows of decorative stitching on the front background panels.

It is not necessary to quilt the background pieces,
but I like the way it looks.


Are you making any changes to your home décor to welcome the new season?

Have a happy sewing week!

No comments:

Post a Comment