About Me

My photo

As a Martha Pullen licensed sewing teacher I love to learn new sewing techniques and I equally enjoy teaching sewing techniques to others.  You can also find me teaching Bernina Customer Courses at my local Bernina dealer.  In addition, I demonstrate Stampin' Up products.  I am a servant of the Lord of Lords and King of Kings, wife of one, mom of two, and grandma of five.  Welcome to my sewing and crafting studio!

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Garden Stake Banner

Here's a new little banner to hang on my hall tree.

The pattern is from Nancy Halvorsen's book, Garden Song.  I followed the pattern instructions exactly, except I omitted the side border strips and used the red fabric as binding instead.  Why did I do this, you ask?  Because I wasn't paying attention and I quilted the little block together before I added the border strips.  Oops!  Oh well, it still turned out cute and I have it hanging in my living room as a reminder that Spring really will arrive in a few weeks (or months).

When I finished the block, hung it up, and stood back and looked at it, I noticed that the flowers (particularly the top yellow flower) blended into the background and the banner looked a bit blah.  My awesome daughter suggested adding stamen to the middle of the flowers.  I was too lazy to add any more sewing to this little project, so enter my Silhouette die cut machine.  I cut the "stamen" shapes with my Silhouette and applied the iron-on rhinestones to bling my flowers.  I also used Tim Holtz Distress Stickles to outline the leaves on the top flower (the color I used was Shabby Shutters).  Much better!